In 2002, Emma Weber founded what is now called Lever Transfer of Learning with offices in Sydney and London and a team of coaches worldwide. From the outset it was a virtual organisation.
I am a strong advocate of Emma’s work – she and her team ensure that learning is fully applied back in the workplace and businesses achieve their desired Return on Investment. But it was the aspect of leading virtually that I wanted to explore more with Emma and her generosity of spirit in sharing tips, tools and tales from the trenches went both broad and deep.
In addition to exploring leading virtually, we also talk about Coach M, Emma’s artificial intelligence coach bot and how successful it/she/he has been and is growing!
Here are a few of the golden nuggets gleaned from our conversation:-
- Emma’s career journey from retail merchandising to consulting to coaching for learning transfer
- Start as you mean to go on (or inadvertently fake it till you make it!) – the benefits of having an international presence
- The core essentials of communication when leading teams virtually
- Cadence, frequency, check-ins
- Person before process
- The purpose of building community
- ‘Programming’ care
- Measuring and tracking mood, value and learning
- Taking psychological safety from unspoken to spoken
- DON’T forget the metrics
- Sharing the near misses – catching the small things we can fix
- Win of the week
- The conception and birth of Coach M – the artificial intelligence coach bot based on 20,000 coaching conversations
- Don’t be afraid to stuff up
- Lessons learned from ‘Black Lives Matter’
One of Emma’s favourite quotes from Tony Robbins:-
“Success in life is the result of good judgment. Good judgment is usually the result of experience. Experience is usually the result of bad judgment… don’t be afraid to stuff up”
Emma’s website Transfer of Learning
Emma on LinkedIn
Emma’s Book Turning Learning into Action
Emma also mentioned a book ‘Sleeping with your Smartphone’
We are on a mission to get the message out to the business community about 21st Century leadership skills that engage, inspire, motivate and develop people to be their very best and achieve their potential.
If you would to contribute to our mission, however small, please head to https://ko-fi.com/brainsmart to donate – thank you!