Meet Will Martin, retired 3rd generation naval officer of the Australian Navy and founder of Waterline Leadership.
In this conversation Will share with us his philosophy on generous leadership and what it means to be a generous leader. He shares his 3 legged stool generous leadership model of humility, open-mindedness and empathy.
Will also shares:-
- his definition of generous leadership
- how being generous is good for your brain!
- how being generous doesn’t have to mean being kind
- elements of generous and selfish leadership through 2 fictitious characters – Captain My Hero and Captain Cantankerous!
- where to start coaching with a Captain Cantankerous
- Superman leadership – the role of humility
- what stops leaders wanting to embrace generosity
- what a generous culture looks like and what organisational selfishness looks like
- balancing a ‘fail fast, fail forward’ approach with risk
- characteristics of extraordinary teams
Will refers to Michael Henderson’s book ‘Above the Line’ and Julie Salamon’s ‘Ramban’s Ladder’
Will’s website is Waterline Leadership and he can be reached on LinkedIn here
We are on a mission to get the message out to the business community about 21st Century leadership skills that engage, inspire, motivate and develop people to be their very best and achieve their potential.
If you would to contribute to our mission, however small, please head to https://ko-fi.com/brainsmart to donate – thank you!