We challenge and support teams and their leaders to be the best version of themselves, to harness their collective strengths, embrace diversity & build real inclusion to create tribes that thrive.
Our team-based workshops focus on how to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts through acknowledging and honouring that there is an ‘I’ in team and working to build a sense of pride, belonging and motivation, resulting in teams that know what’s expected of them, know where they’re headed and work together to achieve collective goals and outcomes.
BrainSmart Development Programs
Why this is important
Our brains are social organs and connection is one of our core social needs. In business we are all required to work with others in a team environment to achieve collective goals and objectives, so it is crucial that we can work together productively and effectively for everyone’s benefit.
Building BrainSmart Teams uncovers the skills, attitudes and behaviours required to build and grow cohesive, high performing teams that can work together to create successful outcomes.
Because the scope of teamwork is so broad, we strongly customise the content of each program to cater to the specific challenges and outcomes of your teams. Content and learning outcomes will be co-created.
We also encourage the use of team profiling tools in our team-based programs e.g. Team Management Systems (TMS), DiSC or The 5 Behaviours of a Cohesive Team. More information can be found about these in our section on psychometric profiling tools.
- Understanding what makes a group a team
- Creating shared goals and responsibilities
- Exploring the development lifecycle of teams, identifying where the team is
- The 5 essentials elements of high performing teams
- Developing effective communication processes
- How to build an environment of trust and psychological safety
- Understanding the different personalities in the team and how to optimise this (through a team profiling tool)
- Agreeing desired and undesired behaviours and what to do when boundaries are crossed
- Creating a defined, empowering team mission, vision and charter
“Thank you for help me establish a true ‘team’ mentality, embrace change and drive higher motivation together”.
AM Tibco Software
Why this is important
A wide body of research has shown that diverse teams consistently outperform homogeneous teams, especially when it comes to creative, or complex tasks. Diversity offers different ways of thinking about problems and opportunities and avoids the issues associated with groupthink.
Rather than being considered a nice-to-have in the workplace, when it is harnessed properly, diversity is a proven differentiator of performance. Diversity, however, doesn’t guarantee inclusion. Our brains create thinking shortcuts and mental rules to be efficient and keep us safe. These mean that we are often operating from unconscious biases that constantly influence who we relate to, what information we pay attention to and how we make decisions.
Creating an inclusive team environment requires understanding each other, our biases and creating strategies to mitigate and minimise them.
Harnessing Team Diversity and Inclusion is a highly practical and interactive workshop to help teams value different individual perspectives (using team profiling tools), improve team problem solving and decision making, foster collaboration, build trust and psychological safety and deal productively with conflict.
- Learn the role of our brain in creating unconscious bias
- Understand how our biases influence how we work together as a team
- Discover how our differing personality preferences can impact team cohesion and performance
- Explore how to harness differing strengths to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts
- Identify behaviours and language that can result in exclusion
- Build a culture of psychological safety where everyone can bring them whole selves to work and feel safe to speak up
- Learn how to manage emotions and deal with conflict to create the best environment for thinking effectively and making decisions
Why this is Important
Building awareness of how those judgements and stereotyping we are unaware of are impacting the decisions we make, the relationships we build and the results that we get.
Our unconscious biases directly affect not only who gets hired, developed and promoted, but also the ability of teams to perform at a high level, the effectiveness of our leaders in decision-making and change, the health of an organisation’s culture and the relationship it has with its customers.
Getting to Grips with Unconscious Bias is a highly interactive workshop that explores the world of human evolution, neuroscience and the different approaches being taken to address workplace bias. The focus is on increasing our understanding of the most prevalent biases that impact our ability to be impartial and objective and on developing practical strategies to deal with bias effectively.
- Explore the role of our brain in creating unconscious bias in ourselves and others
- Understand the impact of leaving unconscious bias unaddressed in all parts of the organisation
- Uncover the origins and influencers of unconscious bias
- Make the unconscious conscious through awareness
- Work through how to managing the most prevalent biases in our workplace
- Develop practical strategies to develop awareness and mitigate our biases
"Every employee should attend this workshop, not just those in HR”
Workshop participant Sunshine Coast Council